Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Flip Card Behavior Chart

K1 has 5 classroom rules & we're working hard to remember as well as to follow these rules.
Rule 1. Eyes are watching.
Rule 2. Ears are listening.
Rule 3. My mouth is quiet unless I am called on.
Rule 4. I keep my hands to myself.
Rule 5. My brain is turned on.

The entire Kindergarten class at Keystone Elem. uses the Flip Card Behavior Chart. By the end of this week, we'll be 2 weeks into our school year. The children have had time to learn & understand these classroom rules, so I plan to start enforcing these rules more strongly beginning 9/14. Below, I have listed a detailed explanation about the Flip Card Behavior Chart & how it is used in Kindergarten.

Each day the children start out fresh with a Green Card. A Green Card means "I'm doing fine!! If your child is spoken to about his/her behavior, they'll flip their Green Card to a Yellow Card. The Yellow Card means they've received a behavior warning. I talk to your child abouat what they've done wrong & at this point nothing else happens. These Yellow Cards will disappear around December or so & the possibility of getting a warning will no longer be an option.
If your child is spoken to about his/her behavior a second time, they'll flip the Yellow Card to a Red Card. Once on a Red Card, they miss 5 minutes of our 30 minute PlayTime.
If your child is spoken to about his/her behavior a third time, they'll flip their Red Card to a Purple Card & miss 10 minutes of PlayTime.
If your child is spoken to about behavior again during the day, they'll flip the Purple Card to a Blue Card. At that time, a note (or phone call) will be sent home letting you know what kind of "behavior" day your child had at school.
As parents, you can help at home by reinforcing the importance of good behavior at school & encouraging your child to behave properly.

No comments: